A warm welcome to all my visitors,

Thank you for taking the time to come and look at my blog, I really do appreciate it. I would love you to leave me a comment, even if it’s just to say Hi. It means I can come visit you!

All my designs are original, so copyrighted to me. If I have been inspired by someone elses work, I have named them in the post, and where able, I have provided a link.

Please feel free to use my designs for inspiration, I just ask you to credit me, and provide a link back to my blog.

Thanks, Shaz XX

Thursday 12 January 2017

Shaving Foam backgrounds

Most people are familiar with this technique, another one of those that supplies endless random backgrounds.
I'd been planning on doing a few for a while now, but while I was shopping the other day, I had a brainwave. Cut down on the cleanup by using Baking Foil to work on! Then, when I'm done, the whole thing just gets rolled up and thrown in the bin.

 I sprayed out the shaving foam- and you must get foam, not gel!-any cheap brand will do, I used the stores own, about 40p a can.
 First batch, I used Distress Inks in Weathered Wood, Hickory Smoke and Pumice Stone. You can use any dye ink, even paints for this technique.
I'd also picked up a long toothed comb, as I thought that may work for swirling the colours. It does, but not as effective as I'd have liked. Anyway, I had a pile of the foam on the comb, so I wiped it off onto a white tag.
Got a really nice subtle background from that. 😀



Now I cut down some white cardstock to A5 size, and began dipping them.



This is the first piece, still covered in foam. Use a ruler to scrape the foam off, and put back in the pile.



Doesn't look like much at this stage, but the next bit is when the magic happens.



 All the excess foam scraped away, and the surface wiped over with a paper towel.

Second piece from the same mix.
There is a limit to how many times you can re-use the foam, eventually you will just end up with mud.
 Also a good reason to pick your colours carefully.






 For the three darker ones here, I added some Ground Espresso ink to the foam, and re swirled it, using a paintbrush handle this time.


 A touch more Weathered Wood, and you can see I'm getting a lot of browns now, from continually mixing. Time for a new batch!
This time I used Seedless Preserves, Picked Raspberry and a little Pumice Stone.
 To be honest, I think I prefer the browns of the first batch.






 I chucked in a little Faded Jeans here, so the pinks are not quite so dominant.




 Side by side comparison, and definitely prefer the more subtle browns.

Just need to put them somewhere to flatten out now, and that's a few backgrounds for my UFO box.

10 comments:

misteejay said...

What a lovely mix of backgrounds. Already and waiting to be used.
Toni xx

SumBunneh said...

I love foam... love love love it :D

I use the top of a plastic A4 box so I can wash it out and reuse it :)

cuilliesocks said...

Have never tried this technique, looking good though, Kate x

BJ said...

Great foil idea to make the clean-up easier. The shaving foam technique makes great backgrounds. Thanks for the visit BJ#13

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

I have never tried this technique. If I can get my hands on some regular foam, I might have to try it. I am surprised how nice the neutral colors look with this!

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Have you tried them through stencils? You can get some stunning designs. Spread the foam over the stencil, then just lift the stencil, but do NOT scrape the foam. Just let it subside and dry naturally. I am glad you said about the cheapest foam as the more expensive stuff does not work as well. xxx Maggie

RosA said...

Yes, this is a good technique. I'm always pleased with the random results! Yours are looking nice!

Kyla said...

I love shaving foam backgrounds and find the cheaper the foam the better as ideally you don't want one with moisturiser.
Yours are looking fab and I look forward to seeing what you make.

Thanks for the offer of more "happy birthday" die cuts but I think I certainly have enough to be going on with for a fair few months!! ;-)

Kyla

Rita said...

Hi Shaz. Gosh, not tried this for years. Like the idea of the foil though, saves the cleaning too. Great tutorial my friend. Hope your well honey. Hugs Rita xxx

Magic Maggie said...

Hi,
love the foil idea, so simple. Have you tried Brushos in the mix? (probably need to use them ready mixed into water I suspect). I await results with interest - I like the way you think - and operate!!

Love

Maggie (Yorkite)
PS the loft is looking really good, neatly zoned now, amazingly in just 4 categories (well, there are 4 walls); Housey stuff; Hobbies and interests; Packing equipment(hubby sells on e-bay); and finally car boot items to sell
Hope you are OK by the way.

An End of an era

An end of an era

I write this with a broken heart, that only time can heal My beautiful, wonderful wifelet Shaz (Silverwolf) passed away peacefully in the ea...